Changing a Record Owner - Classic
Each record in Salesforce has an owner.
When a record is first created, the owner defaults to the user who created the record. However, you may need to change the owner, depending on how your CWSP department is structured. For example, at schools that use an account management structure, the owner of an account could be the account manager who is assigned that particular partner.
- Navigate to the desired record. The owner field may appear in different sections for contacts, students, etc.
In the example below, the Contact Owner is listed under the Contact Detail section [a], while the student's Owner is listed under the System Information section [b].
- Click on the Change link next to the owner field.
If you click the "Edit" button instead of the "Change" link, you won't have the option to change the owner.
- Type the name of the new owner and click on the magnifying glass icon, which will open a new window.
- Click on the name of the desired user.
The user that is to become the new owner must be an existing, active user in Salesforce. See how to create a new user if the desired user has not yet been created.
- Select whether or not you want the new owner to receive an email notification about the change. Then click the Save button.
- The record owner now should reflect your update.